Leaving New Delhi we will take the plane to Srinagar, the largest city in the Kashmir valley, magically built on canals beside Lake Dal.
We will stay two nights and, using the traditional shikaras (wooden canoes), we will explore the lake, discover the pleasure gardens (with water lilies and lotus flowers) and the rural zone where the farmers work surrounded by water and where they set up their markets with hundreds of canoes full of vegetables and fruit.
In this border area between the Muslim world and that of Western Tibet, our journey will continue on the caravan route with a real horse caravan that will support us as we trek on foot through the passes between the mountains of the Zanskar Range towards the Ladakh Range. We will come across Tibetan villages, Buddhist monasteries perched on the mountains and surrounded by unexpectedly verdant oases.
While we cross the mountains we can observe the geological formations of the Himalayas and the inner mountain area between the Himalayas and Karakorum as well as interesting views of the morphology and the paleogeographic modifications of the Quaternary Era.
The trekking ends at the Lamayuru monastery, the oldest western outpost of the Tibetan Buddhist kingdom, built in the eleventh century and sited in an extraordinary mountain desert. We will continue with jeeps along the Indus River valley, passing the beautiful monasteries of Rizong, the home of a community of hermit monks, and of Alchi, famous for its elaborate wooden architecture, and of Phyang (Tibetan festival at the end of July).
When we reach Leh, the capital of Ladakh, we will have time to visit the historic city centre, the markets and old workshops. There is an ancient royal palace and the red monastery on a steep hill overlooking the city. After visiting the Indus River valley and the monasteries of Shey, Thiksey and Hemis, we will fly over the Himalayas back to New Delhi.
- Duration: 15 days
- Minimum number of participants: 8
- 4x4 vehicles
- internal flight Dehli - Srinagar
- trekking for five days with a caravan of horses to carry all the loads, treks of 5-6 hours a day with rests
- 2 nights in hotels, 2 in house-boat, 4 in guest-house and 5 in tents
- the staff comprises an Italian guide, caravan drivers, jeep drivers and cooks
- moderate hot climate with a slight range of temperatures between day and night
|22 July 2019
||4 August 2019||€ 3.050|
|5 August 2019||18 August 2019||€ 3.050|
The price is inclusive of LOCAL FLIGHT FROM DEHLI TO SRINAGAR
- International flight. Average cost: € 650
- Visa: € 85
- Single and tent room supplement: € 400
- Paperwork administration + Medical insurance and baggage: € 80
- Optional insurance "Globy Giallo" for possible cancellation